Here are the girls in our ward. This years theme was Survivor. Each ward picked an island or a location that survivor the TV show has taken place. Our ward was Bora Bora. As you can see in the picture, going with the survivor theme, each camper was given a buff to wear. I particularly love Savannah's face in this picture. I think she has seen too many pictures of Uncle John?
I was not a cabin mom this year. I was called to serve on the Stake Camp Committee as a certification specialist. Before you all laugh, knowing the camper that I am (not) I think it all turned out okay. The girls survived and we had them make breakfast burritos over a fire that they were all able to eat. Ha!
Our cabin moms this year were great. We get teased for glamour camping because we stay in cabins and we decorate them for the girls. The girls love it, so that is what we do. Our ward cabins were decorated like the huts you see on the water in Bora Bora. There was straw hanging from the roof of the cabin down to the tops of the screens on the side of the cabin. (both side of the entire cabin are giant screens, no walls until you get close to the floor. Great for air circulation) One of the cabin moms made paper-mache masks that the girls painted in tribal fashion. They were really cool. I'll have to see if I can hunt down a picture of them. They hung these on the side of the cabin under the straw. One of the cabin moms also made a giant totem pole thing with tribal masks and wholes where you could put your face and pose for a picture. It was really cool. Again, I am hating that I don't have pictures. Inside, the back wall was covered with a white sheet with on open window over looking the beach and ocean painted on it. Lantern lights were hung. It looked great. They also had bags with goodies for the girls. They got a ward t- shirt with Bora Bora on it, fun things for the girls. The girls loved it.
The temperatures cooled to the upper 80's for the week, which was a blessing!
The girls got to climb the wall, repel, ride the flying squirrel, zip line, swim, test survivor skills in survivor games. The winners of these games got to go through the food line first each day. There were classes and crafts.
We even had our own survivor camp song, written by our camp music specialist. She took Hawaiian words that translate to "Survivor! Press Forward! Love God and all Men!" She had the girls play a ukulele and a didgeridoo to give it a tribal sound. The girls loved it.
I was horrible about getting pictures. I was either too busy to walk everywhere to get them or I never had my camera with me when I had time for pictures. I did manage to get a picture of Savannah with her friend from Italy that visits her grandparents in our ward each summer.
It was fun being at girls camp with both of my girls. Hannah was able to go as a YCL cabin mom. She enjoyed the perks of being a leader. (Sonic Happy Hour)
Well, that is all for girls camp. It ended on July 3. Just in time to start celebrating our nations birthday all weekend. Sleep, three nights of fireworks, grilling out and homemade ice cream. Can't beat that.

6 comments:
So not a camper here, either. Although I did manage Girl's Camp...I'm really dreading it with my girls! haha I think Glamping kinda sounds like an STD of some sort...ick! haha I get it though, that's the only way to do it! If you gotta camp, do it up right! Savannah is so cute, and yes...she's been looking at too many pics of John!
I miss Glamping. Out here it's down and dirty put up your own tent and make your own food to survive. It's the worst. You talking about all of this has made me miss the days of Southern Lady style Girls Camp. I wouldn't mind so much going if it was like that!
I've done both kinds of girls camp and I have to say that this sounds awesome. Just my cup of tea (hot chocolate?!).
And I love that you're at camp with your girls.
And anyhow I just love you!
xoxo
That wall looks like a blast and love the whole survivor theme! Your 4th sounds like fun too, ours was well you know.
Savannah totally stole my pose....and made it better. She rocks.
-John
glamping - love it! definitely the best way to go for girls. much better than Hell Hole '88 (remember fall creek falls, thunderstorms, whistle blowing, etc? good times, none-the-less.)
Post a Comment