Monday, March 14, 2011

We Were Pirates


Ahoy young mateys -- 
If treasure ye be seeking 
There's learning to be had 
At a meeting we'll be teaching 
Of treasures good, none bad 
So join your fellow pirates 
And your parents for some fun 
We'll be searching out the treasure 
Ye lassies will see how it's done


-from our New Beginnings invitation




This year for New Beginnings we went with a pirate theme.  We wanted it to be a fun night, but one that the girls could feel the spirit as well.  


We went to the church the day of, to decorate ahead of time.  Here it is complete, before the girls arrive all decked out in pirate wear.  
We had the serving table decorated as well with black table cloths and treasure chests with coins and gold and silver glitter and treasure maps.  I forgot to take a picture.




Below are the girls singing to start things off.  I was trying to get all of them and I don't think I did. oops:(







The girls also did a pirate skit that was cute.  It focused on treasures and what treasures they should be seeking.  I don't think I got any pictures of it.

the yw presidency and the Bishop 
I would like to thank Zachary for letting me borrow his Jack Sparrow Sword.

most of our yw leaders

the whole gang

We managed to keep the scouts and the young men out of the gym during our program.  It is always hard when food is involved.  We had cup cakes and meatballs and veggie trays and fruit.

Once all of the young women and parents had eaten and we were visiting, this happened.






You could tell when the food was gone because they left the table and went to where the girls were, to visit.

For the record... we didn't care that they ate the food.  It made clean up easy.  I just thought it was funny and told the story of how it typically goes in our ward.

5 comments:

Jan said...

SO fun! You guys are so creative - I'm sure the girls loved it!! (and apparently the boys did too - ha!)

Anonymous said...

We are doing this same ship for our pirate themed girls camp;) I am going to borrow your picture to show our craft committee. Your looks awesome! Did you use the snaps so you can take it down and store it. We have to get ours to and from camp. Four hour drive.

Neely Fam said...

That thang looks nice enough to sail on water. Yes, that is a dare...

Unknown said...

What a fun and original idea!! It looks like you guys had so much fun! And, I'm surprised that you could keep the boys away from the food until the very end!!

hydeeann said...

that has got to be the most unique new beginnings i've ever seen! the one time i served in yw (for a total of 6 weeks before we moved) we based it around a cookie recipe. arg, ya' blow us out of the water, matey!

and, hey! i just tracked you down as the mystery "jen" who signed on to follow my sewing blog. gee, thanks! so sweet. i'll be sending your gift in the next few weeks.