Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer Is Here And The Best Calling Ever... And One That Won't Go Away

Summer is here!  I can't wait to relax with the kids and not have the school system dictate my calendar!  I see the beach in my future!  I can't wait!  

In November I got released from Young Women after 3 years.  I was ready!  I loved the girls but last year was exhausting and I was ready for a change to hopefully something easier.  I did not want Primary though.  Been there, done that!  Primary was not fun the last time I was there and I did not want to repeat that!

  I got a much needed break until February.  Then I was called to ... Primary. 
 I was devastated.  The last time I was in Primary,  I had kids running off and throwing scriptures at me.  I was not up for that again!  I was asked  to go do sharing time.  I loved it!  Especially the Junior Primary.  I have never been in Junior Primary.  Then I got to sub in Nursery.  That is where the fun is!  Snacks, singing, playing.  I loved it.  Put me in Primary with the little guys all of the time! 

At the end of May, I got pulled out of Sunday school by I am sure, a very nervous man (2nd councilor) given the task to ask me to teach Primary.  He knew previously that it was not where I wanted to be.  I was called to teach the Sunbeams!  BEST CALLING EVER!  Oh how I love it! They are a hoot!  I get to teach the simple things (I am thankful for my eyes, etc.) with small lessons about Jesus, as well as, "we need to share" and "boys and girls can be friends".  Of course we get to play games and color too.  I'll take this over Relief Society any day.  

I was also called AGAIN to the calling that I can't seem to escape.  Camp certification specialist.  I don't like camping ( even though our camp is pretty close to glamping  aka glamour camping) and my least favorite thing about camp is certification, unless you count the camping part... you know, humidity, bugs, bugs in the shower, humidity, hot weather, bugs, oh how i miss my bed and a good night sleep, raccoons getting into the food, ticks and more bugs, and oh how I would like to take a shower and feel clean instead of still sticky. Okay enough complaining.  

I have been to camp every year but one since Hannah was 11.  I think  I am kinda done.  I said I would do it this year, so I am trying to get excited or at least mentally prepared for it.  We as certification specialist do try to make it fun.  Last year we had a first aid war and we shot them with water guns and threw grenades (water balloons) at the girls while they were running a relay to certify.  Our theme this year is Our Zion or OZ with a Wizard of OZ twist.  We are are still planning for this year, but I think it will be fun for the girls.  It is just a lot planning and a lot of work.

Maybe it will be my last year.  Savannah is a YCL (youth camp leader) this year as well as next.  I pretty much said I would go this year, because she was excited for me to be there.  It will be weird after next year to not have one going to girls camp.  It has been our summer companion for a while now.  I will be sad that Savannah won't be going anymore because  a. she loves it and b. that means she is growing up and getting ready to leave home. :(  

But as far as I am concerned, I hope to bid it farewell after this summer.  Let me just stick to the Sunbeams!

4 comments:

Jan said...

I love it that you love the Sunbeams. I do too - got to sub with them a few weeks back and it just makes me happy. I would give pretty much anything to get out of this Stake Primary calling and go back to being with the kids!!

Shannon Hairr said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE primary!!! I even told the current primary president to PLEASE call me in there. LOL

Anonymous said...

Hope you do enjoy camp this year after all. Sunbeams are really fun, when their naughty it's still cute. Not so much with the other primary aged kido's.

hydeeann said...

i've loved sunbeams and nursery both times i taught each of them. just got called to teach gospel doctrine. teaching relief society is my fave, but this is somehow more different. wanna trade? although i think i'd take it over camp. haven't been back to camp since my last year as a 1st year counselor in franklin stake. i did that in '92 and '93. loved it the first year. second year i got my first migraine ever! no kidding. haven't been back since. but with 5 girls, i'm betting i'll get another chance before too long.